These oven-roasted chickpeas have a crisp texture that makes them delicious and filling. Roasted with a splash of olive oil and seasoned with curry powder and turmeric, this simple plant-based recipe is perfect for lunch or any time.
1 tsp. curry powder for the chickpeas, plus ½ tsp. for the sauce
½ mug of basmati rice
1 mug of water
Pinch of ground turmeric
Small handful of chopped coriander
2 tbsp. plant-based crème fraiche or plant-based yogurt
Small handful of flaked almonds
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C.
2. Put the chickpeas into an oven safe dish and add a generous glug of olive oil, a teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together and then roast in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, put the rice, water and a pinch of turmeric into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat with the lid on for about 7 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in the chopped coriander.
4. To make the sauce, mix the plant-based crème fraîche or yogurt with half a teaspoon of curry powder and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
5. Serve the rice with a dollop of the sauce, topped with the chickpeas and garnished with flaked almonds.