Instant Pot Quinoa Khichdi is a healthy version of a vegetarian Indian comfort food. It is prepared in an Instant Pot with quinoa and lentils, spiced with turmeric, paprika, and a hint of cinnamon and cloves. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this dish on the stove. This recipe comes to us from Gita Kshatriya of Warrior In The Kitchen.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
1 tbs avocado oil
2 whole dry chili peppers
4 whole cloves
1/2 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeeru)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
3/4 cup quinoa
3/4 cup mung (moong) dal
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt (adjust per taste)
Note: Mung dal is a yellow lentil typically found at Indian/Asian grocery stores. However, you can substitute any lentil that is readily available at a traditional grocery store.
Also, feel free to play around with this base recipe by adding vegetables you have on hand.
Instant Pot Directions:
1. Wash and strain quinoa and mung dal and set aside.
2. Press ‘Saute’ mode on Instant Pot.
3. Add avocado oil, dry chili pepper, cinnamon stick pieces, cloves, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds.
4. Once heated, the mustard seeds will ‘pop.’ Add the washed and strained quinoa and dal.
5. Add water, salt and turmeric and mix well.
6. Close the lid on the Instant Pot. Press ‘Cancel’ and then ‘Multigrain.’ Set time to 12 min. Move valve to ‘Sealing’ position.
Stove Top Directions:
1. Wash and strain quinoa and mung dal (lentils) and set aside.
2. Add avocado oil, dry chili pepper, cinnamon stick pieces, cloves, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds to a saucepan on medium heat.
3. Once heated, the mustard seeds will ‘pop.’ Add the washed and strained quinoa and dal.
4. Add approximately 3 cups water, salt and turmeric and mix well.
5. Stir gently occasionally. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the quinoa has become fluffy and the lentil has softened, similar to cooking rice on the stove.