Pan-Grilled Seasonal Fruit & Tree Nut Cheese Pizza
This pizza makes a perfect plant-based comfort meal. It’s 100 percent plant-based … and 100 percent delicious! Try it with your favorite fruits or plant-based cheeses. To save time, you can pre-grill your fruit and use pre-made pizza dough and treenut cheese…or make your own if you prefer. This pizza is topped with balsamic reduction, basil, pistachios, and microgreens and makes for a perfect combination of sweet and salty.
This recipe comes to us from Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with basil, click here.
- 1 serving seasonal fruit, such as 3 fresh figs or apricots or 1 peach, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces (227 grams) whole grain or ancient grain pizza dough, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 ounces (70 grams) soft treenut cheese, such as cashew cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons organic balsamic reduction or glaze (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons small fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 handful (about 1/4 cup) microgreens
1. Heat a grill-pan (or grill) over medium-high. Brush fruit with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Grill fruit slices on both sides until grill marks form, about 5 minutes total. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer fruit to a plate. Remove grill-pan from the heat.*
2. Rub dough with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. On a large cutting board, press out dough to about 9- by 8-inch (23- by 20-centimeter) rectangular/flatbread shape.
3. Replace grill-pan over medium heat. Transfer dough to the grill-pan. Immediately sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Grill until the top of the pizza dough is puffy and the bottom has rich grill marks, about 7 to 8 minutes.
4. Flip pizza crust over. Immediately top with half of treenut cheese in several dollops using a fork; arrange the grilled fruit on top; and dollop with the remaining treenut cheese. Grill until the bottom of the pizza has rich grill marks, about 5 minutes.
5. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 3 or 4 slices. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction and top with basil, pistachios, and microgreens. Serve while warm.
Tip: To make organic balsamic reduction, add 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) organic balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer to desired syrupy consistency (reduced to about 2 to 3 tablespoons), about 8 to 10 minutes. Store in a jar until ready to use. Any remaining balsamic reduction can be stored in the fridge for several weeks.
*Hint: Fruit can be grilled in advance, chilled, and brought back to room temperature before pizza prep.