Eating bananas for breakfast isn’t some kind of groundbreaking move, but this banana sticky rice recipe certainly adds a fun new twist to the typical morning meal. The dish is sweet and hearty, making it a stick-to-your-bones-type fuel that’ll help energize you all day long. And while its creaminess may seem incomparable, thanks to the use of coconut milk, the recipe is 100% vegan.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
2 cups sweet rice (or short grain sushi rice), uncooked
3.5 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
2 teaspoons lime zest
3/4 teaspoon salt
8 banana leaves, thawed
8 bananas, cut into thirds
1. Combine rice and 2.5 cups of coconut milk in pot.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Let pot stand covered off heat for an additional 5 minutes.
4. While rice is still hot, fold cooked sushi rice with remaining unsweetened coconut milk, lime zest, and salt in a bowl until rice becomes sticky and has cooled slightly.
5. Using a 2-oz scoop, scoop warm coconut lime rice into each banana leaf square and top with a piece of banana. Top with another 2 oz scoop of rice and then roll the banana leaves into a “burrito-style” roll making sure banana is encased in rice.
6. Steam the packets 4 minutes or until banana leaf becomes fragrant.