Meatless Monday for Hospitals and Healthcare
"Meatless Monday offers the ability for our patients to adopt small changes that can make a big difference over time in reversing or preventing certain chronic conditions."
Whitney Ahneman, MS, RDN, CDN, CDE, Clinical Nutrition Manager at NYC Health + Hospitals/Coney Island
Hospitals are particularly well positioned to leverage Meatless Monday and promote new healthy eating habits by offering delicious plant-based dishes to patients, staff, and visitors.
- 87% of hospital staff surveyed agreed that the Meatless Monday campaign at New York-Presbyterian (NYP) showed that NYP cares about their health and the environment.
- 86% of hospital employees who participated in a Meatless Monday Challenge at a major NYC hospital agreed that they were able to successfully reduce their meat consumption.
Get started with information and resources about Meatless Monday for: hospital staff, foodservice directors and workers, sustainability and health/wellness leaders, and marketing/communications teams.
Get started with Meatless Monday in FOUR easy steps:
- In the cafeteria, provide at least one plant-based, meatless item every Monday. You don’t need to remove meat from the menu. See plant-based ordering trends for meatless meal inspiration.
- Promote Meatless Monday and plant-based meal options to patients, staff, and visitors. Learn more about marketing Meatless Monday here.
- Educate employees and customers on the benefits of Meatless Monday and plant-based eating. Simply stated, Meatless Monday is good for you and the planet. Learn more about the environmental and health benefits of plant-based eating here.
- In the cafeteria, track sales and/or food purchasing data to quantify the benefit of Meatless Monday. Setting a plant-based meal sales goal can help motivate the team to promote more meatless options on Monday.