Do you eat enough leafy greens? If you’d like to eat more greens and enjoy them more, try making this lush, savory soup, speckled with toasted almonds. This recipe transforms an entire bunch of kale and 2 quarts of spinach somehow into 4 cups of delicious soup. This dairy-less soup is creamy, thanks to a spin in the blender, and you’ll love the deep green color.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir, and once they start to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir occasionally. Cook until the onions are soft and golden, at least 5 minutes, longer if you have time. Add the garlic and stir for a minute, then add salt, stock and sweet potato, and increase the heat to high.
2. When the stock boils, cover and reduce the heat for 10 minutes. When the sweet potatoes are tender, add the kale and cook for 3 minutes longer.
3. Add the spinach and stir for 2 minutes longer, just until deep green.
4. Transfer the contents of the pot to a blender or food processor..
5. Process the soup until very smooth. Add lemon juice to taste.
6. Serve in bowls, topped with toasted almonds.
Place the sliced almonds in a small sauté pan and swirl over medium-high heat until lightly golden, then transfer to a bowl to cool.