Black Bean Burgers
Once you try these homemade Black Bean Burgers, you’ll never buy the frozen kind again! These black bean patties are rich and flavorful, thanks to black beans, corn, pimientos and cilantro, and brown rice keeps them together. Simple, delicious and packed with plant-based protein, this vegan recipe is a perfect option for the whole family!
This recipe comes to us from Goya.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with black beans, click here.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp. Goya extra virgin olive oil (or similar)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1/4 green bell pepper, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp. Goya minced garlic (or similar)
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) Goya black beans, drained and rinsed (or similar)
- 1 can (16 oz.) Goya refried black beans – casero (or similar)
- 1 cup cooked Goya brown rice (or similar)
- 1 can Goya golden corn, drained and rinsed (or similar)
- 1 jar (4 oz.) Goya fancy pimientos, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. Goya Adobo all-purpose seasoning with pepper (or similar)
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Goya salsa pico de gallo (or similar)
1. Heat 1½ tsp. oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions and pepper soften, about 7 minutes; set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, add black beans, refried black beans, cooked brown rice, corn, pimientos, cilantro, Adobo and reserved onion mixture. Using clean hands, mix thoroughly until combined. Divide bean mixture into 8 portions; using hands, form into 8 patties. Wrap each patty in plastic wrap; transfer to freezer until firm, about 20 minutes. (Note: Black bean patties can be stored, wrapped and frozen, for up to 6 months).
3. Heat remaining oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add black bean patties, making sure not to crowd pan. Cook, flipping once, until dark golden brown on both sides and warm in center, 10-12 minutes.
4. To assemble burgers, place black bean patty on bottom hamburger bun. Top with avocado and pico de gallo. Serve.