“Meaty” black-eyed peas lend a wonderful flavor and texture to plant-based chili. Golden, sweet potatoes offer a rich boost of color, nutrition, and taste, as well. Cook up a pot and serve it with cornbread, as a baked potato topper, or a partner for a crisp green salad. This is a perfect recipe for a slow cooker or Instant Pot, too. Just toss in all of the ingredients, push the button, and you’ll have a delicious, fragrant plant-powered meal waiting for you at the end of the day! And the leftovers are even better the next day.
This recipe comes to us from Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 8 ounces black-eyed peas, uncooked
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
1. Place peas in a large pot and cover with water. Soak overnight (or about 8 hours). Drain off water.
2. Add 4 cups fresh water to pot, along with vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper, and stir well. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add molasses, vinegar, tomatoes, turmeric, chili powder, cayenne pepper and stir well. Cover with lid and cook on medium for 45 minutes, until tender.
4. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Instant Pot Directions: For Steps 2-3, place ingredients in an Instant Pot. Press “Bean/Chili” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro.
Slow cooker Directions: For Steps 2-3, place ingredients in a Slow Cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro.