This tangy, spicy Chana Masala Pulao is delicious – Why eat chana masala and plain recipe separately, when you can combine them and make a comforting, plant-based, gluten free delicious meal. For a more kid-friendly recipe, you can reduce the amount of spice, as recommended in the recipe.
1 tsp red chili powder (skip this if making it kid friendly)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp. mango powder (aamchur powder)
1 tsp. sugar
3 cups cooked rice (leftover steamed rice is preferred)
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in a wide shallow pan.
2. Add whole spices, bay leaf and dry whole red chili peppers to the oil. Sauté for a minute or until it becomes fragrant.
3. Add cumin seeds and sauté until they start to turn a deeper brown.
4. Add chopped onions, garlic and ginger along with a pinch of salt. Sauté until the onions are completely translucent.
5. Add tomato sauce and mix well. Add the rest of the spices, mix well and cook until it starts to simmer. Stir frequently.
6. Drain and rise canned chickpeas and add to the sauce.
7. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
8. Add steamed rice and mix gently, making sure the rice does not break or gets mushy. Leftover rice works the best for this recipe, especially al dente, not mushy rice. Taste it and add more salt/spices as needed.