This Vegetarian Quinoa Biryani is a delicious, low carb recipe that combines the rich flavors of traditional spices with vegetables, like zucchini and eggplant. Spiced vegetables are layered with quinoa. It is a delicious one-pot vegan recipe that provides a great combination of plant-based protein and healthy carbs, uses lots of vegetables and is gluten-free!
This recipe comes to us from Gita Kshatriya of Warrior in the Kitchen.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with quinoa, click here.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 whole dry chili peppers
- 2 whole bay leaves
- ½ cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ tsp whole cumin seeds (jeeru)
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 med onion, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mixed vegetables
- 2 green chilis, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. ginger, minced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- ½ tsp. turmeric (hardar)
- 1 tsp. salt (adjust based on taste preference)
- 2 tsp. biryani masala pack
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
1. Heat avocado oil in pan.
2. Add whole spices like bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, dry chili peppers, cloves and whole cumin seeds.
3. Once the spices start to sizzle, add the chopped veggies and garlic and ginger.
4. Add the remainder of the spices and water and mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes, until veggies have softened and the flavors have incorporated.
5. In a separate pan, alternate a bed of quinoa layered with the cooked veggies.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Feel free to use any combination of veggies you have on hand.