Jackfruit Pulled “Chicken” Tacos
Whip up this simple and satisfying taco recipe that uses jackfruit as the base. Jackfruit is a great swap for pulled chicken or pork as it has a hearty and stringy texture that easily takes on the flavor of seasonings. This aromatic recipe uses familiar tex-mex spice staples like cumin, chili powder, and garlic to recreate your favorite taco Tuesday meal for Meatless Monday.
For more jackfruit recipes, click here.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
For the jackfruit:
- (2) 20oz cans green jackfruit in water or brine, drained, rinsed, and chopped through the core diagonally or preferably shred in food processor
- 1 tablespoon light oil (EVOO or canola)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the tacos:
- 8 taco shells, hard or soft
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ red onion, small diced
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- lime wedges
- For optimal texture, cut the jackfruit into thin slices from core to the outer edge. This breaks up the tougher core as much as possible and makes for the best shredded texture.
To make the shredded jackfruit:
- Shred the jackfruit in a food processor by pulsing a few times to get a “shredded meat” texture. Don’t over pulse or it will be mushy. If you have a small food processor, you may need to work in batches. If you don’t have a food processor, you can cut the jackfruit into thin slices and shred some by hand.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.
- Then add the tomato paste and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the shredded jackfruit and sauté for a few minutes. Now add the spices and sauté until fragrant.
- Pour in half (1/4 cup) of the vegetable broth and simmer until it has cooked down completely. Taste for seasoning and add more broth if too dry, hold the other ½ cup if too wet. Remove from heat.
To assemble the tacos:
- Warm the taco shells according to the package directions. Or Warm up your corn tortillas three at a time in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 30 seconds on each side to soften. When warmed, add a scoop of the jackfruit, and top with an avocado slice, a couple red onion slices, some cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Or you can top with whatever your favorite taco toppings are! I also love a squeeze of hot sauce. See notes for serving ideas. Enjoy!
Serving/Topping Ideas: Lime Wedges, Fresh-Cut Cilantro, Sliced Green Onion, Hot Sauce, Sliced Radishes, Salsa, Pico De Gallo, Shredded Red Cabbage.