Kung Pao Peanut Tofu Rice
This vegan, gluten free, plant-based Kung Pao Peanut Tofu Rice is a healthy take on a Chinese takeout that is loaded with veggies like fresh onions and peppers, crunchy peanuts, sweet and spicy sauces and fresh herbs like cilantro and scallions. This is a dish the whole family will enjoy.
This recipe comes to us from My Vegetarian Roots.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with tofu, click here.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 16 oz. firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. sriracha sauce
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 3 cups steamed rice
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 cup diced multicolor bell peppers
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. sriracha sauce
- ½ cup salted roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp. oil
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 5 small dry whole red chilis (or 3 large)
To Sauté Tofu:
1. Take tofu out of the box and wrap it in a couple of paper towels for anywhere from 30-40 minutes. Place a Weight on the wrapped tofu. Your weight should be heavy enough to press down evenly across the top of the tofu, but not so heavy so as to cause the tofu block to crumble.
2. Once the extra water is gone from the tofu, cut it into cubes and sauté them in 2 tbsp. of oil on medium heat until they turn golden brown and somewhat crispy, tossing and turning them every few minutes. Be careful while tossing and turning so it does not crumble.
3. Once tofu cubes are golden brown on each side, add dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce and black pepper powder. Mix well and keep it aside.
To Make Fried Rice:
4. Heat oil in a pan. Sauté minced garlic, grated ginger and whole dry red chilis.
5. Once the raw smell of garlic is gone, add diced onions and peppers.
6. Cook/char them on high heat for a couple of minutes so that they are partially cooked but still a little crunchy.
7. Add hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, soy sauce, salt and black pepper powder. Mix well.
8. Add steamed rice. Mix well making sure the rice does not break. Let it cook for a couple of minutes.
9. Turn the heat off. Add sautéed tofu and salted roasted peanuts to the rice. Mix well.
10. Garnish it with chopped cilantro and scallions.. Serve it hot!