Kushari is a traditional Egyptian dish packed with plant-based protein from chickpeas and lentils. Enjoy it for lunch, dinner or any time.
This recipe comes to us from Bassem Badreddine of RCPE.
For more recipes with lentils, click here.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
1. Prepare the spice mix by combining all spices together in a bowl.
2. Start preparing the tomato sauce by finely chopping the onion.
3. Fry with oil until translucent.
4. Add in bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
5. Add 1 tbsp. of the spice mix and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
6. Pour in the crushed tomatoes.
7. Add the tomato paste, cook for 5 minutes on low.
8. In a separate pot, boil the lentil on medium heat for 25 min or until fully cooked.
9. Heat some oil in a pot with the rest of the spice mix.
10. Add in the rice and mix well.
11. Pour in 1 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Cook on low for 15-20 min.
12. Cook the pasta according to the box instructions.
13. Chop the onions in rings. Deep fry until browned.
14. To assemble, first put the rice into a serving dish. Add lentils on top of the rice. Then, add the pasta and the chickpeas. Finally, top with fried onions and tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Thanks for your message. We'll be in touch soon!