Leftover Rice Veggie Burgers
Rice is automatically served at many Asian, Latin, Mexican and Indian restaurants with entrees, but it often goes uneaten. Instead of letting it go to waste, repurpose it into these plant-based veggie burgers! These cheese-stuffed burgers are 100% vegan, protein & nutrient-packed and SUPER filling. Top them with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and vegan aioli on a bun, eat them plain, or serve with your favorite toppings.
For more recipes with rice, click here.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the Burger:
- 1 cup leftover cooked rice, any kind
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and washed
- 1 medium yellow onion sautéed with 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp each coriander seeds & cumin seeds
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 tbsp. dried fenugreek
- 1 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup plain unsalted breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Vegan cheese of choice
For the Garlic Coriander Aioli:
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- Handful fresh coriander, washed, dried, include stems
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 green chilies
- Salt and pepper
- Burger buns
- Butter lettuce
- Beefsteak tomato, sliced
- English cucumbers, shaved with a peeler
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1. Blend together all ingredients for the aioli until smooth and delicious. Set aside.
2. Toast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and red chilies on low flame in a pan for about 2 minutes until fragrant and slightly more brown in color. Keep an eye on this – they can burn quickly! Immediately remove and place in a mortar and pestle. Grind down until it’s all relatively fine with some remaining texture. Set aside.
3. Place the beans in a large bowl and mash up using a potato masher. Next, add in the rice and mix well using your hands. Now add in spices, fenugreek, flaxseeds breadcrumbs, onion mixture, fresh coriander, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly until it’s all well incorporated. Set aside.
4. Prepare a bowl of lukewarm water and have that at your burger making station. Next, cut vegan cheese up into small 1/2 inch cubes. Moisten your palms with the water and pick up a scoop of the burger mix and mold into a burger shape. Create a well into the center and add in your cheese cube. Mold around the cheese and add some more burger mix if necessary. Continue to make at least 4-5 burgers.
5. Heat a non-stick pan over medium flame. Grease the pan. Add in your burger and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Cover with a lid for the last minute to cook. Toast your buns.
6. Spread on a generous amount of aioli on your bottom bun, then add your burger, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, squeeze some lemon juice, add some fresh coriander and close it up! Voila! Leftover rice transformed!