Mango, Black Bean & Caramelized Veggie Burrito
This Mango, Black Bean & Caramelized Veggie Burrito is tasty and fun, and also features vitamin C superstars, like mangos, which is an important nutrient for immune health. Once you’ve pre-prepped all of the ingredients, the recipe is really easy to make. It’s like a veggie fried rice, but with tropical flair. Everything is rolled up into a whole grain tortilla to transform this vegan recipe into this colorful, crave-worthy, and nutrient-packed burrito! You can also serve it bowl-style with a tortilla on the side. The chipotle mango adds a sweet and smoky kick.
This recipe comes to us from Chef and Nutritionist Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with mango, click here.
Prep time: 22 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 fresh mango (about 14 to 15 ounces), peeled and cut into small cubes (1 cup cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons), divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or sunflower oil
- 1 medium sweet potato with peel (about 8 ounces), scrubbed and finely diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, chilled
- 2 medium bell peppers, various colors, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen organic corn, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 burrito-size (10-inch) whole grain tortillas
- 1 large Hass avocado, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 ounces soft cashew-based vegan cheese, scallion or regular flavor, crumbled (optional)
1. In a small bowl, stir together the mango, chipotle powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
2. In a large (12-inch or larger) deep cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the sweet potato and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the rice, bell peppers, corn, turmeric, and black pepper and sauté until bell peppers are caramelized (browned), about 8 minutes. Add the black beans and cook while stirring until the beans are heated through, about 2 minutes.
3. Remove skillet from the heat, stir in the cilantro and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice and 3/4 teaspoon salt, and adjust seasoning.
4. Top each tortilla with the crumbled cashew cheese (if using), veggie mixture, cubed avocado, and chipotle mango; roll up burrito-style, folding in the sides. Cut in half, if desired. Alternatively, serve as burrito bowls, with tortillas on the side. Top as desired, such as with salsa verde, pico de gallo, or guacamole, and serve.