Matcha Mochi Mylk Bread
This bread is a fun, delicious snack that you can decorate however you’d like. A plant-based take on milk bread, this version gets its flavor from matcha and a delicious chewy texture from mochi (made with glutinous rice flour). This is a fun recipe for the whole family.
This recipe comes to us from Jing Ni of @bakeyvakey.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with flour, click here.
- 1 cup (250g) bread flour
- 1/4 cup (20g) matcha powder
- 3 tbsp. (24g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp. (3g) salt
- 3/4 cup (184g) warm nondairy milk
- 1 tsp. (4g) of active dry yeast
- 1/8 cup (20g) of vegan butter
- 3/8 cup (45g) glutinous rice flour (mochi flour)
- 1/8 (15g) corn starch/flour
- 1/8 cup (20g) sugar
- 3/8 cup (80g) water
- 1/2 tsp. of oil
- 3 tbsp. vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. nondairy milk
1. Combine nondairy milk and yeast then set it aside for the yeast to bloom.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread flour, sugar and salt.
3. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
4. Knead the dough for 10 mins. (For stand mixer option: mix the dough on low to medium speed for 10 mins)
5. Add the margarine and continue kneading for 5 mins, or when the dough doesn’t tear when pulling apart. (For stand mixer option: mix for 5 mins and knead for another 5 mins)
6. Put the dough back into the bowl and cover it with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour/until doubled in size.
7. While the dough is resting, whisk together all the ingredients for the mochi.
8. Steam it for 15-20 mins or until it has a chewy texture.
9. Using a glove, knead/beat the mochi for 10 mins. Using a cling wrap, wrap the mochi and place it into the fridge for 30 mins.
10. Degas the dough (punch it down to remove air), divide it into 12 pieces and make them round. Cover them with a damp cloth to rest for 15 mins.
11. Divide the mochi and red bean paste into 12 parts.
12. Deflate the dough and roll it into a circle, making the edges thinner. Put the red bean paste and the mochi in the middle of the circle and seal it. Place them on a baking sheet and cover them with a damp cloth for 1 hour/ doubled in size.
13. Preheat the oven at 356°F (180°C) and bake for 18 mins.
13.While the bread is cooling, melt the chocolate chips by steaming or microwaving them. Decorate the bread however way you like and enjoy!