Meaty Mushroom Stew over Garlic Mashed Potatoes
This recipe comes to us from The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook by Jenn Sebestyen.
Jenn says: “This recipe reminds me a bit of pot roasts from my childhood. Of course, back then, it was beef, not mushrooms, but the flavor profiles are similar and both dishes are warm comfort food that make me want to curl up on the couch with a big bowl.”
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- For the Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds (900 g) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) plant-based butter or (28 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (120 ml) lite coconut milk, plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- For the Meaty Mushroom Stew:
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 10 ounces (280 g) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 10 ounces (280 g) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon (16 g) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) tamari, coconut aminos, or soy sauce (gluten-free, if desired)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1½ cups (355 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (130 g) frozen green peas
For the Mashed Potatoes: Add the potatoes to a large pot on the stove. Cover the potatoes with water by 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 cm). Add ½ teaspoon of salt. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a knife. Drain and add the potatoes back to the pot. Add the butter and coconut milk.
Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Add additional milk 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time if you like your mashed potatoes a thinner consistency. Add the garlic powder and additional salt to taste. Switch to a spatula or wooden spoon to stir and incorporate the seasonings well. Set aside.
For the Meaty Mushroom Stew: Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the onion and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and carrots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomato paste, tamari, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and vegetable broth. Increase the heat to bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the green peas, stir to incorporate, and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to heat through.
Serve the Meaty Mushroom Stew over the Garlic Mashed Potatoes.