This plant-based stir fry dish is packed with flavor from miso paste, soy sauce, sriracha and fresh ginger and gets a boost of protein from walnuts. This Miso Walnut, Mushroom & Broccoli Brown Rice makes a perfect, quick weekday meal that everyone will enjoy, especially if you use frozen or leftover rice.
2 – 3 tablespoons sriracha or red chili garlic sauce, more/less to taste
3 tablespoons low sodium tamari or soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 1/2 tablespoons miso paste
1. Cook rice according to instructions given then set aside. As a time saver, consider using frozen brown rice.
2. Mix together the ingredients for the sauce, set aside.
3. Set oven to broil (~500-550F).
4. Place broccoli florets on a baking tray, spray with avocado oil, then broil for 5 – 7 minutes or until the edges of the broccoli are seared. Set aside.
5. Place a large nonstick wok (or skillet) on medium high heat. Once hot, add oil, mushrooms and onions. Cook together for 6 – 8 minutes or until the onions have turned slightly translucent and the edges of the onion and mushroom have seared.
6. Add the vegan butter and the miso paste and continuously toss the mushrooms so that it melts all over of the mixture. Fold in the rice and the broccoli. Toss and reduce heat to medium.
7. Pour in the sauce and toss everything together. Garnish with green onion.