Plant-Based Chocolate Chip Cookies
These plant-based chocolate chip cookies are an ooey-gooey better-for-you treat. They feature oats, whole-wheat pastry flour, and chia seeds to kick up fiber and overall wholesomeness. The cookies also have lots and lots of chocolate chips. Mmm! The result: 100% plant-based and 100% delicious with a just-right balance of crispness and chewiness.
This recipe comes to us from Jackie Newgent, RDN.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with oats, click here.
To learn more about baking with egg substitutes, click here.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (preferably white)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons (150 grams) whole-wheat pastry flour or gluten-free baking flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) unrefined virgin coconut oil, liquified
- 1 1/4 cups (275 grams) turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup (170 grams) vegan bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
1. In a small bowl, stir together the chia seeds, applesauce, and 1 tablespoon water. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two large baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and, if using, cayenne. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, stir together the oil and sugar until combined. Then add the chia mixture and vanilla and stir to combine. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add the oats and stir to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow dough to firm up. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Using a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop or a large spoon, drop the dough onto baking sheets, 9 to 10 cookies each. Alternatively, form into balls by hand. Bake until browned, about 13 to 15 minutes, swapping baking sheets halfway through baking.
6. Remove from oven. Let the cookies stand for 15 minutes on the baking sheets to firm. Then transfer cookies directly to racks to cool and crisp, at least 10 minutes.