This Popcorn Chick’n is the perfect vegan recipe to satisfy your fried chicken or popcorn chicken cravings. Try it on its own, over a salad, with your favorite dipping sauce or however you’d like. Even your carnivore friends and family will love this recipe.
This recipe comes to us from Nathan Wakefield of @veegboi.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 3/4 cup (150 g) dried soy chunks
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup (150 g) corn flour
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of chili flakes
1. Soak soy chunks in stock for 5-10 minutes.
2. Mix seasonings into the corn flour.
3. Drain any excess stock from the soy chunks and toss them in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
4. Gently heat oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the ‘chicken’ pieces in small batches till they get a golden brown color.
5. Transfer to a baking try and put in the oven at 180C for 10 minutes.
6. Serve and enjoy!