This vegetarian dish is delicious, nutritious and a beautiful addition to your dinner table or holiday meal. In this stuffed squash recipe, the squash is thickly sliced, seeded and roasted until the flesh is tender. Then, it’s stuffed with a medley of grains and vegetables – including sauteéd mushrooms, scallions, kale, brown rice and red quinoa – then stopped with manchego cheese (or dairy free cheese) and baked until warmed-through and cheese is melted. This dish will please vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
This recipe comes to us from Goya.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more squash recipes, click here.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- Kabocha squash, about 3 lbs.
- 3 tbsp. Goya extra virgin olive oil, divided (or similar)
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup Goya brown rice (or similar)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced and white and greens separated
- 1/2 cup Goya organic red quinoa, rinsed well (or similar)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped frozen baby kale
- 1 tbsp. Goya Sazonador total (or similar)
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Manchego cheese, divided (or dairy free cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F. Place 1/4 cup water in 2-quart baking dish. Cut squash in half through the stem; scrape out seeds. Cut each half into 2 wedges. Brush flesh with 1 tbsp. oil. Arrange cut side up in dish and season with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Cover with foil. Bake until fork tender, about 20 min.
2. Meanwhile, combine rice, white sliced scallions, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1-1/4 cups water in medium saucepan. Simmer covered, 10 min. Stir in quinoa and mushrooms; return to simmer and cook 10 min. Stir in kale, Sazonador, rosemary and cranberries. Simmer until grains are tender, about 8 min. Stir in scallion greens, then 1cup of cheese (or dairy free cheese). Spoon into squash hollows; sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
3. Bake uncovered until cheese is melted and heated through, 10 min.