These easy, umami-packed enchilada stacks are a simple way to satisfy your craving for a meatless Mexican meal without all the work of stuffing and rolling each enchilada! This recipe comes to us from Stefanie of Sarcastic Cooking.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 tablespoons canned tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pureed canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- A couple dashes of hot sauce
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 8 jarred cherry peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 12 small flour/corn tortillas
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded queso fresco or vegan cheese
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a medium baking sheet with foil and set off to the side.
Whisk together the tomato sauce, olive oil, chipotle puree, chili seasoning, taco seasoning, oregano, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and hot sauce in a medium mixing bowl. Add the mushrooms, red onion, and cherry peppers. Mix to evenly coat and combine.
Lay the mushroom mixture out on the prepared baking sheet in one even layer. Bake for 25 minutes, flip and then bake for 20 minutes more until crisp.
Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and then microwave for 60-90 seconds until warm and pliable. Add the enchilada sauce to a small skillet. Heat over medium until the sauce starts to simmer. Reduce heat slightly.
Dip each warm tortilla into the sauce and then place on serving plate. Sprinkle a large pinch of cheese on top of the hot sauce. Do the same to two more tortillas so it is three total in a stack. Top each stack with two spoonfuls of the roasted mushroom mixture. Continue that process until four stacks have been made.
Serve each stack with fresh cilantro and guacamole.