A little sweet and a little heat balance perfectly in this easy blender sauce. It will make you want to slather everything in BBQ sauce!
This recipe comes to us from The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook by Jenn Sebestyen.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 6 ounces (170 g) tomato paste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (60 g) pure maple syrup
- 1–2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ cup (120 ml) water, to thin, or more as needed
Place all the ingredients into a blender; use 2 chipotle peppers if you like it spicier. Purée until smooth.
Transfer sauce to a pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until thick, or until the desired consistency is reached.