This plant-based Tofu & Basil Pesto panini is full of flavor and makes a delicious lunch, dinner or snack for any time. Tofu packs in the plant-based protein, and gets a meatier texture if you freeze and thaw it before cooking. Soy sauce, basil pesto and vegan cheese all make this sandwich delicious and flavor-packed.
This recipe comes to us from Ayindé Howell of iEatGrass. Ayindé is a member of The Meatless Monday Culinary Advisory Council.
For more recipes with tofu, click here.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1/2 pound tofu cut into 1/2 inch slices (preferably frozen and defrosted)
- 2 tbsp. neutral cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 2 slices Ezekiel bread (or your favorite bread)
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced tomato
- Your favorite vegan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan butter for bread
1. Season tofu slices with herbs and spices.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, until hot and shimmering, place slices of tofu into pan and cook until browned on both sides
3. Add water and soy sauce, cook until sauce just about evaporates
To build sandwich:
4. Butter both sides of bread slices
5. Spread each slice of bread with pesto, add tofu, onions, tomatoes and top with cheese, then close sandwich
6. Heat a skillet over medium heat
7. Place sandwich, cheese side down, in the skillet and cover with a flat spatula or foil, then press it down with a heavy block or a saucepot.
8. Be sure your skillet is on medium heat as it will need to cook the bread and melt the cheese without burning
9. Press on both sides for approximately two minutes until cheese is melted and bread is toasted
10. Cut sandwich in half and enjoy!