Tofu ‘Steaks’ with Chimichurri
This vegan recipe is a ‘steak’ both a meat lover and vegetarian will find tasty and satisfying. The tofu is first brushed with a spicy and savory marinade and then pan seared and topped with a fresh and zesty chimichurri sauce, a South and Latin American condiment that is loaded with chili peppers, fresh herbs and garlic. Chimichurri is good on almost anything and can be made spicy or mild depending on your taste. Originating in Argentina, it is commonly used to top grilled steak, which is one reason it’s so good on this dish. Serve this tofu ‘steak’ with rice, on a sandwich made with crusty bread, atop fresh greens or however you’d like.
This recipe comes to us from Joyce Vandenberg Porter of Good Mother Diet.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For more recipes with tofu, click here.
- 15 – 16 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or other high heat oil)
- 1 bunch broccolini (optional)
- 1 cup brown rice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (or red wine vinegar)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and minced (or 1 tsp. dried hot pepper flakes-or both)
1. Drain tofu and stand it on it’s end and cut in half vertically on the narrow side so you end up with two wide one-inch slices. Place tofu on double thick paper towels and top with another paper towel and place something heavy (like a cast iron pan) on top to help press out the water. Let sit at least 10 minutes. Tofu can be cut into 7 o.z or 3/5 oz. ‘steaks.’
2. Mix all Chimichurri ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Combine tofu marinade ingredients and brush them onto tofu covering top, bottom and all sides. Set aside
4. If you are serving with rice, get it started. If you are preparing a vegetable, like baby broccolini, heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet and sauté broccolini with some chopped garlic, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and tent with foil or cover and use a new pan for the tofu.
5. Add more oil to the pan if necessary, or use a grill pan or grill, and heat on medium high until almost smoking. Add tofu and cook 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side another 3-4 minutes.
6. Serve with a big spoonful of chimichurri sauce on top, and your choice of rice, vegetable or however you’d like.