Vegan Breakfast Quesadilla with Southwest Tofu Scramble
Loaded with Scramble Tofu “eggs”, hearty potato hash, spicy soyrizo, wilted baby spinach, and vegan cheese, this Vegan Breakfast Quesadilla is the perfect way to start your day! This recipe comes to us from Capri Lilly of Good Food Baddie.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
2cupspotato hash browns
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1cupshredded vegan cheese
3tbspolive oil, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
Southwest Tofu Scramble
1/2small red onion, diced
1/2red bell pepper, chopped
1/4tspground black pepper
114 ounce firm or extra firm tofu, drained
1. Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp cooking oil. Prepare the hash browns according to the instruction on the bag. (Usually cooking on each side 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally). Once the hashbrowns are cooked, transfer the hashbrowns into a small bowl and set aside.
2. In the same skillet (wiped clean), prepare the Soyrizo. Saute it over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown (and a temperature of 165 is reached). Set aside in a medium-sized bowl. Wipe the skillet clean to prepare for the scramble.
3. Over medium-high heat, saute onions, jalapeno, and red pepper for 3 minutes. Crumble the tofu and add it the pan, along with the turmeric, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and mix everything together. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the tofu scramble from the skillet and wipe it clean.
4. In the skillet, over medium heat, cook the spinach for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to wilt. It should reduce to half the size.
5. Over medium-low heat, add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet. Add a tortilla and fill half of the tortilla with spinach, soyrizo, hashbrowns, tofu scramble, and Vegan Cheese. Fold over the remaining half of the tortilla to cover the toppings and press down slightly. If possible, carefully flip over the quesadilla and cook until the non-dairy cheese is melted or the tortilla is browned.
6. Slice in half or thirds and serve with salsa. Enjoy!