This quiche is vegan and soy-free, with a cheesy filling complementing a whole grain crust and crunchy asparagus or seasonal veggies of your choice. It’s also easy to prepare, taking 40 minutes to make from start to finish.
This recipe comes to us from Happy Kitchen.Rocks.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- For the crust:
- 260 grams or 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 0.4 cup (100ml) cold water
- For the filling:
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water over night (if time is limited, one hour of soaking is sufficient)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp Marmite or nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- a pinch cayenne
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs (consider oregano and thyme)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 7 spears asparagus (or veggie of your choice)
Prepare the crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
2. Combine whole wheat flour, salt, olive oil and water in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Knead until the dough forms a ball. Roll it and transfer to a rectangular quiche or tart pan. (You can use 10 x8 in., 14 x 6 in, 12 x 12 in. or even round-shaped ones.)
4. Bake for 15 minutes.
Make the filling:
5. Place soaked cashews, garlic, water, lemon juice, nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne in the bowl of your food processor or blender.
6. Pulse until smooth and silky to achieve consistency of a thin hummus. Add more water if needed.
7. Add chopped herbs, salt and black pepper to taste.
Prepare your veggies:
8. Trim ends of asparagus and blanche in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. (This way you will pre-cook the thickest parts of your stems while the tops will be nice and crunchy.)
9. If using other vegetables (except for dried tomatoes), pre-cook by stir-frying or steaming.
Assemble the quiche:
10. Spread the filling over the crust. Arrange asparagus on top and gently press it, so that it’s half drown in the filling.
11. Bake for 20 minutes or until he top is golden. The middle should be a little unset. If a firmer texture is desired, increase baking time to 30 minutes.
12. Let it cool and enjoy!