Vegan Streusel Blueberry Muffins
Making these muffins is really easy. Wanna know the best part? You don’t even need a mixer! You can make these muffins by simply whisking the ingredients together in a large bowl. Of course you’ll want to add the blueberries in last.
The streusel topping is the icing on the cake! It’s really important to use COLD butter when making the streusel. If the butter is too warm, the ingredients will form more of a dough. The vegan buttermilk mixture (almond milk and apple cider vinegar) creates moist, delicious blueberry muffins.
This recipe comes to us from Desirée Daniels of I Can You Can Vegan.
Want more meatless recipes like this? Subscribe to our newsletter for a weekly selection of plant-based recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Makes 10 muffins
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup vegan butter melted
- ⅓ cup plain unsweetened applesauce
- ⅔ cups unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cold vegan butter
- 1 pinch of cinnamon (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Measure out ⅔ cups of unsweetened almond milk and add 2 tsp apple cider vinegar. This is your vegan buttermilk. Set aside. Once combined, you’ll notice that the buttermilk mixture will start to separate at the bottom. This is completely normal!
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
4. Add in the wet ingredients and whisk together to combine. Batter may still be a little lumpy.
5. Gently fold in the blueberries, then use a ¼ measuring cup to evenly disperse the batter into your muffin pan. Set aside.
6. Using a small food processor, add the streusel ingredients and pulse until crumbles have formed. If the vegan butter was too warm and the mixture begins to form into a dough, transfer the mixture to the freezer for 10 minutes. After the dough chills, use a fork to break up the mixture or lightly pulse a few more times.
7. Evenly disperse the crumbles over the muffin mixture.
8. Bake for 30 minutes in the oven, or until lightly browned and toothpick can be inserted and removed clean.
9. Let cool for 5-8 minutes and enjoy!