Vegetable Pot Pie with Whole Wheat Biscuit Topping
Oh, the savory flavors of vegetables cooking together to create a piping hot one-dish meal, fresh out of the oven! That’s exactly what happens in this super simple, 100% plant-based version of a classic vegetable pot pie, which combines tofu, carrots, celery, potatoes, and peas in a creamy sauce topped with home-made whole wheat biscuits. It may look challenging, but you can get this meal-in-one on the table in just over an hour, all cooked and served in one dish.
This recipe comes to us from Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 15-oz package extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Sea salt (to taste, optional)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened (i.e., soy or almond)
Whole Wheat Biscuits:
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup soft vegan margarine
- ¾ cup plant-based milk
To make vegetable filling:
1. Heat olive oil in a large (about 12-inches) cast iron skillet or sauté pan, and sauté onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and garlic for 8 minutes.
2. Add tofu, peas, and parsley, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add flour, marjoram, mustard, celery salt, black pepper, and sea salt (optional) and stir to coat vegetables.
4. Add broth and plant-based milk.
5. Stir well, cover, and continue to cook over medium heat until it’s bubbly and thick—about 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Preheat oven to 350 F.
To Make Whole Wheat Biscuits:
1. Place flours and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Add baking powder and stir well.
2. Cut in margarine with a fork until crumbly. Add plant-based milk and stir to combine well, without over-stirring.
3. Place biscuit dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 1 inch thick. Cut out with 2-inch biscuit cutter or a 2-inch glass to make 8 biscuits.
4. Place biscuits evenly on the surface of the vegetable pot pie in skillet or sauté pan.
5. Place in the center of the oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown and firm, about 20-25 minutes.
6. Serve in a cast iron skillet.