Quit smoking on Monday – it’s the perfect day to begin a smoke-free life. It seems Monday is the day people will most likely engage in healthy behaviors. So, why wait until a birthday, anniversary, or New Year’s to quit smoking when you have a Monday right around the corner?
Here are five terrific reasons for your quit on Monday:
- Monday Is the Day! Research shows that healthy thinking is synchronized to the week. It signals a fresh start to hit the reset button and start over.
- It’s an Opportunity to Make a Plan and Stick with It. Mondays can function as a designated time to plan out your week and set goals. Think ahead about what triggers you might encounter and ways to distract yourself from cravings.
- Regular Connection with Your Support System. Monday is a great time to check-in with a supportive friend, family member, quit buddy, or cessation counselor to kick-start your week. Plan to talk about how things are going and your next smoke-free goal or milestone.
- Weekly Check-In. Since Monday is the start of the new week, it’s the perfect time to evaluate your plan and progress from the previous week to make adjustments or set new goals. Use the Monday Quit Check-In handout every Monday to review your progress and plan for the week. You could also do this activity with your support system.
- If You Slip Up, You Have 52 Mondays to Recommit. With 52 Mondays in a year, you don’t have to wait to quit again if you slip up, just try again the next Monday! This can be a valuable tool as quitting smoking often takes several attempts.
Monday is the day to quit! Use every Monday to take back your health and strengthen your quit journey. Why not quit when others are doing it too? You’ll be in good company with the Monday Quitter community. Find us on Facebook or Twitter!