Still Looking For a Reason to Go Meatless on Monday? Here are 19.
You’ve probably heard of Meatless Monday. Maybe you’ve even considered giving it a try. Well, we’ve got your motivation right here — the 19 reasons to go meatless on Monday in 2020.
With the human population set to reach 10 billion by as early as 2050, the current approach to food production is no longer sustainable. Studies show that a reliance on animal products like dairy, beef, pork, and poultry is doing irreversible damage to the environment and is having a negative impact on personal health. Pretty heavy issues, but Meatless Monday can be part of a delicious solution to tackle these global problems.
For 2020, we are encouraging everyone to ditch meat one day a week to help preserve the planet and live a healthier life.
Improve Your Health
Eating animal products has shown to increase instances of a myriad of metabolic and chronic health problems. Cut out meat one day a week to improve your wellbeing:
1. Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. Lessen the probability of developing type 2 diabetes.
3. Lower chances of having a stroke.
4. Preserve your kidneys.
5. Maintain a healthy weight.
Save the Environment
There’s an inextricable link between livestock production and environmental degradation. For a number of reasons (many of which are listed below), a reduction in the consumption of animal products can help stall the destruction of our oceans, forests, and atmosphere. Enjoying plant-based meals instead of meat on Monday’s can be help address climate issues including:
6. Forests are cleared for livestock production.
7. Animal feed production requires intensive use of water, fertilizer, pesticides, and fossil fuels.
8. Animal waste is a leading factor in the pollution of land and water resources.
9. Beef, pork, and poultry emit large amounts of carbon dioxide, methane, and other harmful greenhouse gases.
10. Livestock production uses 75% of the earth’s agricultural land.
11. Industrial livestock production displaces small, rural producers.
12. A quarter-pound of beef requires 425 gallons of water to produce (enough to fill 6,800 glasses of fresh drinking water).
13. Livestock manure can contain a variety of pathogens such as coli, growth hormones, and antibiotics.
14. Livestock waste streams contaminate drinking water and groundwater.
Feel good about the food you’re eating while saving money and exploring new ingredients. Thanks to the boom of flexitarian and plant-based eating, it’s never been easier, more convenient or delicious to go Meatless Monday.
15. Abundance of delicious plant-based meats to satisfy any of your cravings. There are so many high-protein meatless products now available at grocery stores, restaurants and fast food chains – making it easier than ever to enjoy your favorite foods – entirely plant-based.
16. Make Meatless Monday a reason to get the team together. Round up your friends and family to enjoy plant-based meals with on Mondays.
17. Almost all of your favorite restaurants offer a hearty plant-based option. So you can still frequent your favorite local, just explore new parts of the menu on Mondays.
18. Provides an opportunity to explore new ingredients. There are so many fruits, vegetables and grains to choose from, every Meatless Monday meal can be a new culinary adventure.
19. You’ll likely save money on your grocery bill!