Bean and Cheese Taquitos
These plant-based taquitos are stuffed with a savory bean chili and vegan cheese. You can deep fry them or bake them, and top them with delicious plant-based lime crema.
This recipe comes to us from Gabrielle Reyes of One Great Vegan.
- 1-3 cups vegan cheese of choice
- 12-16 large tortillas of choice
- 2 tbs gluten-free flour
- 1 tbs cold water
- 4-5 cups grapeseed oil (for frying)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 tbs grapeseed oil or veggie broth
- ½-1 tbs pink himalayan salt
- 3 tsp black pepper Black
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of kidney or pinto beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can green chilis
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1½ tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs chili seasoning or Tajin
- 3 tbs ground cumin
- ½ tbs chili powder
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbs plant-based milk (add more if you want it smoother)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. To make the Lime Crema, mix together all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, sauté your diced red onion in the grapeseed oil or veggie broth until they are clear, soft, and cooked down.
3. Add your beans, corn, diced tomatoes and chilis to your large pot. Mix together.
4. Add all of your seasonings and mix in all of the spices until well incorporated.
5. Cover the pot with a lid and let beans simmer on medium high for 8-10 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, mix together gluten-free flour and water to make a paste.
7. Lay out your tortilla flat and spoon in about ⅓ cup of your bean chili on one edge of your tortilla and then add in your desired amount of vegan cheese on top of the chili . (I use about 5 tbs of cheese per taquito)
8. Fold your filled tortilla tightly into itself starting at the filled edge and roll it into itself until it’s closed.
9. Secure the tortilla closed with your flour paste spread on the open edge and press the tortilla completely closed.
10. Heat your grapeseed oil in a large pan for deep frying.
Note: You can also bake the taquitos at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until edges are crispy.
11. Stuff and roll all of your tortillas and get ready to fry!
12. 1-2 at a time, deep fry your taquitos and keep turning until all sides are golden brown.
13. Lay the fried taquitos on a towel to remove the extra oil.
14. Serve with Lime Crema, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, and guacamole.
15. Feast, Sing, and Enjoy!